On a ship when the Captain asks for every hand on deck, that is the alert that lets crew members know their help is needed right away! As we make our way through a new school year in Cumberland County Schools, we have embraced “The Great Comeback” as our motto. We are coming back with new goals, hopes, and plans. We need the community to join us with ongoing support “on deck” to make this vision a reality!
Now is the time to heed the call and for students, parents, educators, and the community to review, restart, renew, reimagine ways to support our young people and schools. Yes, there are many challenges before us, but together we will make a difference!
Along with 6,000 employees of Cumberland County Schools, we take pride in providing whole-child learning along with rigorous academics and emotional supports to all children. We support the concept that every child deserves the opportunity to have a happy and healthy childhood.
Below are twenty “Great Comeback” suggestions from school social workers in Cumberland County Schools.
- Advocate for your child and for his/her needs.
- Be proactive and not reactive.
- Set routines at home and strive for consistency.
- Have open, and frequent communication with your child and school staff.
- Provide opportunities for safe family socialization activities.
- Practice all safety protocols to ensure goof health.
- Strengthen relationships at home, school, and in the community.
- Encourage and assist your child daily.
- Support school activities by staying informed and be involved.
- Ask for help when needed.
- Protect children from neglect and abuse.
- Ensure on time daily attendance either virtually or in person.
- Stay informed with factual information on issues.
- Do not be afraid to ask for help.
- Listen more and talk less.
- Maintain open communication lines with school staff on all levels.
- Participate in your child’s school activities-mentor, volunteer, attend events
- Have crucial conversations with children and school staff as needed.
- Be positive and supportive of your child’s school.
- Show kindness and mercy.
In Cumberland County Schools, The Cumberland Commitment: Strategic Plan 2024 focuses on four major priority areas: Successful Students, Premier Professionals, Exceptional Environment, and Committed Community. Despite the challenges we face as the pandemic continues to impact us, we remain Cumberland Strong as we help students cope, overcome, excel, and succeed.
Thank you for your help and support as we embrace this new school year renewed, refreshed, and recharged for the “Great Comeback!
Pamela Story, MSW
Social Work Coordinator/Homeless Liaison
Cumberland County Schools